Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday #4: ****ing Magnets, How do they Work?!

Paint%20Brushes

Hey everyone,

Welcome to my 100th Blog post! I can’t believe I’m already at 100, it just seems like it went by too fast. Anyways, I figured I’d do Post 100 and my Tutorial Tuesdays on probably the most helpful aspect of modeling: Magnets.

Now a lot of people find magnetizing difficult, mainly because they’ve never done it before. Its one of those things you just have to jump into and try. You’ll have a lot of fun with it, I know I do!

Tools Required

  • Magnets: DUH! You can get these on any good hobby store. I use an eBay store, just search “40k magnets”.
  • Pin Vice: Any sized bits work, though it does help to have one perfect size to your magnets.
  • Superglue: Just holds the magnets so well.
  • Sharpie: Mark one end of your magnets. You’ll want to so when you drop the magnet in and let it set, you remember which side you need to glue into the other piece!

Additional Tools

  • Dremel Tool: I love these things, as it’s a little quicker and easier to do on larger models.
  • Greenstuff: Good for creating a cement for the magnet to sit into. Also good in case you drill too far.

Now magnetizing can work on a variety of models. Here’s a picture of a Chaos Space Marine I magnetized to work for a planned Blood Angel army as well.

DSCF0613

I’m going to show you all how I magnetize the bases on my Devilfish/Hammerhead.

DSCF0612

First off, I get the base done, then magnetize the tops of the Flying Stands. Really easy to do, just clip the top nub off and place the magnet!

DSCF0614

LET THIS DRY!!!!!

The magnets need time to stick to the plastic, so let it stick for a bit. When its dry, check the locations it needs to go on the vehicle. I just checked with my eye and put a marker dot on the spot.

DSCF0615

This vehicle also had a hole in it already, the bonuses of getting 2nd Hand models, right?

DSCF0616

Using my pin vice, I drilled a hole in the center of the marker dot, then used my Dremel to make the hole larger. For smaller models, I just use an xacto, which you place in the hole and twist to make the hole larger.

DSCF0617

As you can see, the bottom magnet fit fine. However, that prior hole was too large to ignore. Thus enters the Green Stuff. Mix a small amount, apply a little superglue, then place the magnet on.

DSCF0619

There you have it! Magnets are a great way to swap out a model’s weapons or wargear! My Demolisher kit is magnetized on the turret, my Valkyrie is magnetized, my sentinels are magnetized, my Crisis Suit Commander is magnetized, and the Skull Champion, shown about hanging from my Magazine Rack, is magnetized. Careful though, you might just start magnetizing everything!

Have fun, and if you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to email me!

Granesh

No comments:

Post a Comment